The EMS and 911 systems play a vital role in the response to public health emergencies such as COVID-19.
On the frontlines of the healthcare system, EMS clinicians and emergency telecommunicators are often the first to recognize or be exposed to a person potentially infected with the novel coronavirus. EMS personnel also transport patients who may need critical care services, help divert less sick patients from the hospital when systems are overwhelmed, and provide valuable data to public health partners.
To help ensure EMS personnel can appropriately and safely serve communities during the evolving COVID-19 pandemic, NHTSA’s Office of EMS and FICEMS members are working closely with each other and their partners to provide up-to-date, accurate information.
Below are links to resources available from U.S. Government and non-government organizations featuring important information on COVID-19, including current guidelines for evaluating patients and infection control. Also be sure to check out this recording of What EMS and 911 Need to Know About COVID-19, a special edition of the EMS Focus Webinar Series, and sign up here to receive emails about future webinars or important information from the Office of EMS.
Personal Protective Equipment and Infection Control
- Interim Prevention and Control Recommendations
- FAQ on Infection Control - Healthcare Infection Prevention and Control FAQs for COVID-19
- Strategies to Optimize the Supply of PPE and Equipment
- Healthcare Supply of Personal Protective Equipment Landing page that contains:
- FAQ about Personal Protective Equipment
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of PPE
- Checklist for Healthcare Facilities
- Release of Stockpiled N95 Respirators Beyond the Manufacture-Designated Shelf Life
- Protecting Yourself from COVID-19 in the Workplace
- EUA Issued by FDA Permits Emergency Use and Distribution of Filtering Facepiece Respirators
- Imported, Non-NIOSH-Approved Disposable Filtering Facepiece Respirators
- The Authorized Respirators
- FDA and CDC Take Action to Increase Access to Respirators, Including N95s, for Health Care Personnel
- Non-NIOSH Approved Respirator EUA FAQ
- HHS to Procure N95 Respirators to Support Healthcare Workers in COVID-19 Outbreaks
Healthcare Personnel with Potential Exposure to COVID-19
- Healthcare Professionals: Frequently Asked Questions and Answers
- Evaluating and Reporting Persons Under Investigation (PUI)
- Healthcare Professional Preparedness Checklist for Transport and Arrival of Patients with Confirmed or Possible COVID-19
- Resources for Hospitals and Healthcare Professionals Preparing for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed COVID-19
- Interim Guidance for Implementing Home Care of People Not Requiring Hospitalization for 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV)
EMS Crisis Planning Documents
- US HHS ASPR - EMS Infectious Disease Playbook
- National Academies (previously Institute of Medicine), Committee on Guidance For Establishing Standards of Care For Use In Disaster Situation, Crisis Standards of Care: A Systems Framework for Catastrophic Disaster Response Volume 3, Chapter 6, Prehospital Care Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- State EMS System Pandemic Influenza Preparedness – A Report of the FICEMS
- Preparing for Pandemic Influenza: Recommendations for Protocol Development for 911 Personnel and Public Safety Answering Points
- EMS Pandemic Influenza Guidelines for Statewide Adoption