NEMSAC 2017 Appointment Nomination Process
The National EMS Advisory Council (NEMSAC) serves as the voice of the EMS community at the federal level, providing advice and recommendations to the Department of Transportation and the Federal Interagency Committee on EMS (FICEMS).
Applications to join the 25-member panel for the 2017-2019 term will be accepted through June 16, 2017. The official notice is available online. For more information, please contact Susan McHenry at Susan.McHenry@dot.gov.
Being a Member of NEMSAC
Council members serve for 2-year terms and may be reappointed for one additional successive term. The Council is expected to meet approximately four times per year as necessary in Washington, DC. Members are unpaid; however, the NHTSA Office of EMS sponsors the associated costs for members to travel to the meetings. NEMSAC members elect a chair and vice chair annually.
Applicants must submit the following information in a single package either through email or postage:
- A cover letter addressed to the Designated Federal Officer, Jon R. Krohmer, MD, that includes:
- The applicant’s full name, title, home address, phone number and email address
- Under the heading “SECTOR(S) OF EMS” a listing of which sector(s) of EMS the applicant is applying to represent from the list of 25 to the right Each member of NEMSAC will be appointed to represent one sector; however, applicants who feel they could potentially represent different sectors can list more than one
- An explanation of why the applicant is applying to be a NEMSAC member and how their experience and/or education qualifies them to represent each sector for which they are applying to represent
- A resume or curriculum vitae
- A short biography including professional and academic credentials, not to exceed 150 words
- At least one and up to four letters of support or recommendation from a company, union, trade association, non-profit organization or individual on letterhead containing a brief description of why the applicant should be considered for appointment
- An affirmative statement that the applicant is not a federally registered lobbyist, and that the applicant understands that if appointed, the applicant will not be allowed to continue to serve as a Council member if the applicant becomes a federally registered lobbyist
It is preferred that application packages be emailed to NEMSAC@dot.gov, but they may also be faxed to the attention of Susan McHenry at (202) 366-7149, or mailed to the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Office of Emergency Medical Services, Attn: Susan McHenry, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE, NTI-140, Washington DC, 20590. If mailing, please use only overnight mail such as UPS or FedEx. Applications must be received on or before June 16, 2017.
Applicants selected for appointment to the NEMSAC will be notified by email and letter of appointment.
Process for Current NEMSAC Members to Apply for Reappointment
Currently appointed members of NEMSAC in their first term are eligible to apply for reappointment, and may do so by submitting an updated resume or curriculum vitae and a cover letter addressed to the Designated Federal Officer, Jon R. Krohmer, MD, with an explanation of why the member is seeking reappointment. The deadline and methods for submission are the same as for new applicants above.